Application Deadline: Extended to March 24, 2017
Successful Applicants Notified: Extended to March 29, 2017
Installation Timeline: Week of June 5-9, 2017
The Regina Downtown Business Improvement District (RDBID), in partnership with Creative City Centre and the Dunlop Art Gallery, is seeking visual artists to create high-impact installation work in underused downtown spaces. This successful public art installation series, Pop Up Downtown, is approaching its fifth year with the thematic focus of:
The subtleties of our surrounding visual environment affect how we think, feel, move and carry ourselves through the world. How are we affected by what we see; who we see and by whom we are seen.
Pop Up Downtown creates a dynamic, walkable, cultural experience in downtown Regina. The Project encourages entrepreneurship and public engagement through artistic intervention. The continuing success of this initiative builds and strengthens existing partnerships between artists and the business community of Regina’s downtown core. Pop Up Downtown aims to activate public space, enliven downtown and promote fine art in Saskatchewan. Successful candidates will create an engaging satellite artwork to be installed for the duration of up to three months. Locations will include; unused storefronts and window spaces in the downtown core. Pop Up Downtown works will be included on a map and audio-based walking tour that will be available to the viewing audience throughout the duration of the installation.
Projects will be juried by a selections committee and chosen based on the merit and feasibility of each artist’s proposal. Flexibility is a necessary requirement and artists will need to adapt their projects to suit the chosen installation space. RDBID partners with a wide range of property owners as well as the City of Regina. As the landscape of downtown shifts so does available real estate. No space is guaranteed until installation begins. This being said, artists are encouraged to consider specific locations when conceiving of work, and include this in their project proposals.
Successful candidates will receive an artist fee of $452 plus a small materials budget (TBD).
Successful projects will be:
Compelling: Strong in concept and execution. Actively engages audiences.
Viable: Adaptive, innovative and achievable with available resources and space.
Relevant: Responsive to surrounding landscape and thematic parameters.
TO APPLY: PLEASE INCLUDE
- Brief Artist Statement (Maximum 1 page)
- Installation Proposal (1 pages)-Brief conceptual statement of the project-Specific technical and spatial requirements
- Sketch of the proposed project (in a hypothetical space)-Successful project sketches to be displayed at the RDBID Annual Members Breakfast on June 7, 2017
- Curriculum Vitae (Max. 2 pages)
- Support Material (Maximum of 10 images)
– All images saved as .JPG files
– Files no larger than 1 MB max (each) or 1366 X 768 pixels
– Label images starting with 01_Artist name_Title …etc
– For video/sound based work- please edit to max. 2 mins each (or up to 10 mins
total running time)
– For digital submissions of large video/sound files (>1MB) please upload to Vimeo and share a link (include a password if applicable.)
- Corresponding Image List–Numbered list of images including: Artist name, title, medium, size, date and any other brief relevant information.
-Include links and passwords to online multimedia documentation, if applicable.
Submissions that do not include all of the above will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Please include only the requested materials in your application.
Digital submissions are encouraged and accepted. Upload ALL materials to one folder in Google Drive or Dropbox. Include links and passwords to any online multimedia documentation in an email. PLEASE DO NOT ATTACH APPLICATION MATERIALS IN EMAILS.
Please direct digital applications and any questions to Lovella Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org
MAIL or DROP OFF APPLICATIONS TO:
Regina Downtown Business Improvement District
1822 Scarth St., 2nd Floor
Regina, SK S4P 2G3