DESIGNERS WANTED FOR PARK(ING) DAY YQR 2018
Park(ing) Day is an annual global event where citizens, artists and activists work together to temporarily transform metered parking spaces into temporary public places.
Regina Downtown BID and Regina’s Warehouse BID are proud to host up to 12 Park(ing) Day spaces in both Downtown and the Warehouse District.
We are looking to the design community for the most interesting, innovative and sustainable designs imaginable!
If you have an idea for an amazing parklet, we want to see your design entry by June 30, 2018. RDBID and RWBID in conjunction with a select adjudicating committee will select up to 12 entries for temporary construction on Park(ing) Day 2018. Selected designers/design teams will be given $200 to turn their idea into reality on September 21, 2018.
ENTRY DETAILS FOR 2018
JUNE 30 — ENTRY DEADLINE
JULY 1–JULY 15 —ADJUDICATION PERIOD
JULY 31 — NOTIFICATION OF SELECTED DESIGNS
SEPTEMBER 21 — PARK(ING) DAY EVENT
Entries are welcomed for either single or double
parking spaces. A single parking space is approximately 9’x20’. A double parking space is 9’ x 40’.
The selected parking spots for Regina Downtown are on the south side of the 2400 block of 11th Ave. in front of the Somerset block. Businesses adjacent to the parking spaces include Norwood Clothing, Tiki Room, Rouge Night Club, and Mortise and Tenon.
The selected parking spots for Regina’s Warehouse District are 8th Ave. & Hamilton St. and the 2300 Block of Dewdney Ave.
Please keep these points in mind for your parklet:
• Pedestrian and bicycle oriented needs on the block
• Environmental conditions –sun, shade, wind
• Incorporation of sustainable/recyclable materials
• Don’t use live ground cover (grass/sod). Be creative and find other means to increase interest in your parklet.
• Your design should have a sense of enclosure and must be visible to oncoming traffic.
• Ideally you will include seating for pedestrians in your design to encourage people walking by to enjoy the parklet and engage with others within the space.
• No open flames…that means no fire pits!
• You must incorporate a sign that indicates that your parklet is a Park(ing) Day installation and includes: the RDBID or RWBID logo, the name of your parklet/installation, a short concept statement and the designer’s names/logos.
• Your installation should be complete and open to the public by 10am on Friday, September 21. We ask that it remain open until 3pm. Designers are responsible for decommissioning and clean up of the parking space.
• RDBID/RWBID will provide funds to feed the meters throughout the day.
• Please remember that this is a one day temporaryinstallation. It should be installable and removable in one hour or less.
• At least one member from your team must be on site for the duration of the installation.
• RDBID/RWBID will have staff representation at all locations to assist where needed.
Individual or team entry permitted.
One 24” x 36” layout that includes:
2) Concept statement that clearly outlines your idea and how the design responds to the adjacent community — 200 words maximum.
3) A minimum of three perspective renderings that clearly showcase the design intent.
4) Perspectives must include a human figure drawn in for scale.
5) Specify heights, widths, lengths of key design elements in feet and inches.
6) Site plan that includes surrounding context (sidewalk, building edge, etc.)
7) Signage layout—RDBID or RWBID logo, the name of the installation, a short concept statement and designer/design team name/logo.
One 11” x 17” sheet that includes specified materials to be sourced and used.
Please submit entries in PDF format.
• Each PDF must contain the 24” x 36” layout and the 11”x17” layout.
• PDF file must be named as follows: 2018 Park(ing) Day – (name of your installation)
Please email your entry for the downtown locations to:
JUDITH VERESUK email@example.com
For Warehouse District locations email your entry to:
LEASA GIBBONS firstname.lastname@example.org
Email subject should read: 2018 Park(ing) Day Submittal
Selected entrants will be given $200 to use towards the building of their Park(ing) Day installation.
Entries will be adjudicated by the Regina Downtown BID, Regina’s Warehouse BID, Weston Bakery business owners and representatives of the City of Regina.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
Regina Downtown BID
Phone: (306) 359-7541
Regina’s Warehouse BID
Phone: (306) 585-3958
Please be sure to download the Park(ing) Day Manual and Park(ing) Day Licenses for guidelines, rules and regulations that are mandated by the founders of Park(ing) Day: Rebar Group.
For social media posts, please use the hashtags: