CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
POP UP DOWNTOWN 2018: 24/7
The Regina Downtown Business Improvement District (RDBID), Dunlop Art Gallery, and Creative City Centre are seeking visual artists to create high-impact window installations in underused downtown spaces. Now in its sixth year, Pop Up Downtown 2018 launches with the thematic focus of 24/7.
In business and creative economies, boundaries between work and play are dissolving, particularly in bustling growing cities. While the idea of labour that is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week might feel exhausting or convenient, depending on if you are receiving or providing a service, the idea of a “city that never sleeps” is invigorating and dynamic. 24/7 connects to the idea that something could happen at any moment, day or night, whether it be a spark of inspiration, a chance at love, or a moment that could change a life forever. 24/7 also alludes to notions of change, including the daily and weekly transitions that urban centres experience as downtown daytime traffic gives way to evening and weekend nightlife activities.
Projects will be juried by the project partners. Selected projects will meet the following criteria:
1. Compelling. Dynamic and eye-catching, with evidence of strong artistic merit through proposed concept.
2. Viable. Clearly achievable and adaptive to the available resources, timelines and space.
3. Relevant. Proposed installation clearly responds to the 2018 theme and is responsive to the urban landscape of downtown Regina.
Selected artists will receive an artist fee compliant with the CARFAC rate for a group exhibition in an alternative space. Selected artists will additionally receive a $1,000 commission fee to support the creation and production of their works. Selected artists based in Regina will also receive an artist fee to participate in a Quick & Dirty Artist Talk and a closing weekend Walking Tour during the run of the exhibition (exact dates and times to be announced).
About the project display spaces
Flexibility is a necessary requirement and artists will need to ensure their proposed projects can be adapted to the assigned installation space. Due to the nature of shifting in downtown real estate, unfortunately no space can be guaranteed until the installation begins. In some cases, over the course the exhibition, projects may be relocated. Please be aware that it may be challenging to accommodate proposals which have very specific technological or electrical requirements. Installations should be dynamic and highly visible during the day as well as in the evening.
To be considered, submissions must include the following materials:
• Brief Artist Statement (Maximum 1 page)
• Curriculum Vitae (Maximum 2 pages)
• Project proposal which includes a conceptual statement of the project, and outlines technical and spatial requirements (Maximum 2 pages)
• Proposed budget (Maximum 1 page)
• Proposed production timeline (Maximum 1 page)
• Image of the proposed project
• Support Material (Maximum of 5 images, saved as .jpgs, maximum file size of 1 MB each; and/or 2 min maximum for video/sound based work), accompanied by information about support materials submitted (title, medium, size, date and any other brief relevant information)
Submissions that do not conform to the above guidelines will not be considered. Please include only the requested materials in your application. Do not submit additional materials.
Digital submissions should be uploaded to one folder in Google Drive or Dropbox, or sent via some other mode of cloud file sharing (ex. wetransfer). Include links and passwords to any online multimedia documentation in an email. Please do not email submissions as attachments.
Pop Up Downtown 2018 Timeline
Application Deadline: February 28, 2018
Successful Applicants Notified: March 9, 2018
Installation: June 18 to 22, 2018
Opening reception and walking tour: June 22, 2018
Exhibition dates: June 23 to September 30, 2018
About Pop Up Downtown
Pop Up Downtown creates a dynamic cultural experience in downtown Regina, activating public spaces and promoting the arts in Saskatchewan. Pop Up Downtown provides artists with the opportunity to create and present new works in unconventional spaces that can be experienced by anyone who passes by.
Send application materials or forward questions to firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of the ‘Pop Up Downtown Selection Committee’.